Sannomiya to Motomachi
Sannomiya is literally the hub of activity in Kobe, being the main connection point for nearly all the subway lines in the city. Its crowded streets are lined with department stores and shopping arcades, while the area under the elevated rail tracks connecting the Sannomiya Station to Motomachi has two shopping arcades with a number of used-good shops and stores geared towards the young and trendy.
Heading south from Sannomiya Station, you'll find Flower Road, an attractive tree-lined street. Connecting Flower Road with Motomachi is Sannomiya Center, an arcade packed with boutique shops, snack food shops and restaurants. Along the Motomachi shopping street and in Motoko shopping arcade are some antique and souvenir shops selling items such as traditional Japanese dolls and lacquerware.
- Subway: Closest Metro Stations: Sannomiya and Motomachi
See and be seen on this trendy stretch of road between the bustling Sannomiya downtown area and the historical foreign mansion district of Kitano-cho. Designer goods and one-of-a-kind items are to be found here, as well as a number of fashionable cafes and restaurants along the main road and down the side streets.
- Location: Chuo-ku (North-south road leading up to Kitano-cho)
- Subway: Closest Metro Station: Sannomiya
Kyu-kyoryuchi (Old Foreign Settlement)
This is a high-end fashion shopping area featuring boutique, luxury shops such as Prada, Fendi and Louis Vuitton housed in converted 19th century buildings. The area was once the centre of foreign consulates and trading companies, but now it's the place to spend your hard-earned yen on top-quality brands and in upscale dining spots.
- Location: Kaigan-dori, Kyo-machi, Akashi-machi, Chuo-ku
- Subway: Closest Metro Station: Motomachi station (Hanshin Line or JR Line)
- Tel: +81 (0)78 332 0151
Mitsui Outlet Park (Marine Pia Kobe Bazaar)
Part of the Japanese Mitsui Outlet chain, the Kobe outlet is set on the waterfront with great views out across the bay to the Akashi Kaikyo Bridge. There are about 70 shops selling brand-name designer clothes and other trendy items at discount prices. Some 12 restaurants offer a pleasant meal and a break from shopping in a marina setting.
- Opening Hours: Daily 10:00 - 20:00
- Location: 12-2 Kaigan Dori, Tarumi-ku
- Subway: Closest Metro Station: Tarumi Station on the JR line or Sanyo Tarumi Station on the Sanyo Electric Railway (9 minutes' walk; free shuttle on weekends)
- Tel: +81 (0)78 709 4466
Kobe Harbourland offers some of the best and most diverse shopping in Kobe outside of the Sannomiya area. Shopping centres including Harbor Circus, Culmeni, and Kobe Hankyu department store are located here, as well as a host of superstores and specialty shops. The Mosaic complex has some unique shops to browse amid its attractive Mediterranean-style settings. After a day of shopping enjoy the promenade walkways, the cinemas, cafes and amusement parks.
- Opening Hours: Most shops open between 10:00 - 20:00
- Location: 1, Higashi Kawasaki-cho, Kobe-shi, Hyogo-ken
- Subway: Closest Metro Stations: Kobe, Motomachi
- Tel: +81 (0)78 360 3639