While most of the shopping in Kyoto is confined to the central and eastern precincts of the city, there are some unique shopping opportunities to be found further out, particularly around major shrines and temples.
Pick up a token of business prosperity at Fukunoya after a visit to Inari Fushimi Shrine, where the god of good business resides. Fukunoya sells a colourful selection of Japanese altar ornaments and good luck charms which make great souvenirs for work colleagues or loved ones at home.
- Opening Hours: Sat – Thu 08:30 – 16:30
- Location: 58 Fukakusa Yabunouchi-cho, Fushimi-ku
- Tel: +81 (0)75 641 1253
- How to get there: Keihan Line, Fushimi Inari Station, or JR Nara Line, Inari Station
Antiques Grand Fair at Pulse Plaza
This antiques fair really is grand, attracting over 300 dealers from across the globe to sell their exquisite and unique antique items. As admission is free, it is almost as good as visiting a museum for the wealth of historically significant items and even if you don’t have the cash to purchase anything it is well worth a visit for the experience of being in a room with so many grand old things.
- Opening Hours: Fri – Sat 10:00 - 17:00, Sun 10:00 - 16:00
- Location: Takeda Tobadono-cho 5, Fushimi-ku
- Tel: +81 (0)77 522 2307
- How to get there: Karasuma-line Takeda Station, a free shuttle bus leaves from northeast exit of Takeda Station
Working to preserve a traditional Japanese art form Gallery Gado has a stock of artists who produce authentic Japanese wood block prints ranging in size from postcards up to large wall prints. The prints wit traditional themes make wonderful gifts for people at home.
- Opening Hours: Daily 10:00 – 18:00
- Location: 27 Miyashiki-cho Hirano, Kita-ku
- Tel: +81 (0)75 464 1655
- How to get there: Kyoto City Bus 101 or 205 from Kyoto Station
Toji Temple Flea Markets
On the 21st of every month Toji Temple hosts one of Japan’s oldest and biggest flea markets, Kobo-san. The market appeals to bargain hunters and collectors from all over the country, as it is a good place to buy authentic Japanese antique furniture and textiles, jewellery, art, kimonos and unique decorative household items.
- Opening Hours: 21st of each month 07:00 – 16:00
- Location: 1 Kujo-cho Minami-ku
- Tel: +81 (0)75 691 3325
- How to get there: Kintetsu Line, Toji Station