A central Kyoto ward, Kamigyo overlaps into the more active areas of Nakagyo and Sakyo and has a number of interesting dining options to be found. There is a famous restaurant which serves a hot pot dish composed of Japanese snapping turtle for the adventurous diner, or you may opt to experience the culinary excellence bestowed upon the members of the Imperial court. The ward also has a number of tea shops which sell traditional Japanese wagashi sweets to accompany their special brews.
If you have the budget for a really top-class meal head to Mankamero, the only Kyoto restaurant that serves formal yusoku ryori, cuisine of a standard high enough for the Imperial court. The specially trained chef must wear a ceremonial kimono and all food items are painstakingly presented. One of the most dramatic dishes the ‘dismembered fish’ entails each part of the fish being elaborately arranged on pedestal dishes. The full yusoku ryori sets cost upwards of ¥30,000 per person however there is a much cheaper lunch bento set available. Dress codes apply and reservations are essential.
- Opening Hours: 11:00 – 20:00
- Location: Inokuma-dori, Demizu-agaru, Kamigyo-ku
- Tel: +81 (0)75 441 5020
- Cuisine: Traditional Japanese yusoku ryori
- Price Range: Lunch / Dinner: luxury
- How to get there: West side of Inokuma-dori north of Demizu-dori
Toraya Traditional Sweet Shop Tearoom
This casual Japanese-style tearoom/café is known for its high-quality confectionery. Toraya is one of the oldest makers of traditional confectionery in Japan and was already supplying the Imperial Family in the 16th century as it still does today. The very old and famous Toraya wagashi shinise is probably best known for its sweet yokan jelly made from azuki beans. One of Toraya Kyoto’s tearooms is located not far from the Kyoto Imperial Palace. Here, you’ll find beautiful wagashi which are crafted seasonal cakes baked daily. They are made largely from various beans and grains that are the staples of the traditional, healthy Japanese diet.
- Opening Hours: Mon – Fri 11:00 – 18:00, Sat & Sun 10:00 – 18:00
- Location: Karasuma-Nishi-iru, Ichijo-dori, Kamigyo-ku. Near the Kyoto Imperial Palace
- Tel: +81 (0)75 441 3113
- Cuisine: Japanese confectionary and tea
- Price Range: Lunch / Dinner: affordable
Soft shell snapping turtle is a delicacy in Japan and Daiichi has been serving turtle hot pot since the 17th century. So specialized is the Daiichi suppon, that the only meal they serve is a suppon tasting menu which comprises a first course of simmered turtle meat served cold followed by the classic turtle nabe or hot pot which is served extremely hot in antique clay pots.
- Opening Hours: Wed – Mon 12:00 - 13:30, 17:00 - 19:30
- Location: 6-371, Shimochojamachi, Senbon Nishi-iru-, Kamigyo-ku
- Tel: +81 (075 461 1775
- Cuisine: Japanese turtle
- Price Range: Lunch / Dinner: pricey
- How to get there: Bus 206 to Nijojo-mae bus stop