Kyoto Concert Hall
This beautiful concert hall, designed by world-renowned architect Isozaki Aratai stages regular performances of classical music and dance. Both historical and contemporary themes are followed in the performances. Consult the Kyoto Tourist Information Centre for programme details.
- Opening Hours: Office 10:00-17:00, closed 1st & 3rd Mon of each month
- Location: Kitayama-dōri, Sakyo-ku
- Tel: +81 (0)75 361 6629, Office: +81 (0)75 711 3090
- How to get there: Karasuma subway line, Kitayama Station
Great jazz music with occasional live performances, intimate lighting and contemporary stylings draw a young hip crowd to Zac Baran. This funky club is also a restaurant, a great place to merge dinner with friends and a night of dancing. Drinks menu is comprehensive offering a good selection of wines, cocktails, local and imported beers.
- Opening Hours: 19:00 – 04:00
- Location: BF Kitazono Heights Shimogamo Hon-dori, Kitaoji Agaru
- Tel: +81 (0)75 721 3501
- How to get there: Eizan Railway, Jingumarutamachi Station
This is one of those tiny Japanese bars that is filled with ambience. With seating room for just 18 people D’ can get quite crowded with its young and trendy patrons composed mainly of university students. Great music is complemented by cheap drinks.
- Opening Hours: 18:00 – 04:00
- Location: Ramblas Kawabata Marutamachi 1F
- Tel: +81 (0)75 752 7626
- How to get there: Tozai Line, Nijojomae Station
The dated appearance of this popular Brazilian bar defies the hot new samba, and funk played at Bar Zinho. With seating for only 15 people its standing room only which adds to the ambience. Cheap draft beer and a long list of cocktails complement a menu of South American food.
- Opening Hours: 09:00 – 24:00
- Location: Sakyo-ku
- Tel: +81 (0)75 712 5477
- How to get there: Karasuma Line, Kitaoji Station
Tranq Room is not just an ordinary bar/restaurant. It regularly hosts live jazz music and is an active art exhibition venue. Their famous dishes include homemade liver paté, Indian chicken curry and namayuba rice bowl. Look for the daily specials on the blackboard.
- Opening Hours: 12:00 – 24:00, closed on Tuesdays and every third Wednesday
- Location: 162-2 Shinnyo-Cho, Joudoji Sakyou-ku, Kyoto-shi
With an intriguing name this post-modern cocktail bar is very popular among Kyoto University students. The minimalist décor, subdued lighting and extensive menu of spirits and cocktails attracts a fashion-conscious crowd.
- Opening Hours: 23:00 - late
- Location: 45-2 Asukai-cho Tanaka
- Tel: +81 (0)75 781 4152
- How to get there: Eizan Line, Mototanaka Station