Hot Staff must be one of the most active music bars in Nara and offers various kinds of regular live music. Performances are held throughout the week, with more popular bands sometimes charging an entry fee. Hot Staff features a variety of drinks and food including Japanese, western and some Tex-Mex cuisine. Try the Japanese curry with omelette rice. This bar-cum-restaurant is a casual and friendly spot to have a few drinks and listen to live music in Nara.
- Opening Hours: Monday–Wednesday and Friday–Saturday from 6pm to 1am. Sunday until 12am (closed on Thursdays)
- Address: Saidaiji Honmachi, Nara, 631-0816, Japan
- Tel: +81 (0)74 236 1189
Harushika Spring Deer Sake Brewery
It is hard to separate Nara from Japan's most popular liqour, sake, as this city is considered the birthplace and heartland of the brew. The drink has a history dating back to the eighth century when Nara was still Japan’s capital. Harushika Spring Deer Sake Brewery (named after the deer that roam the city’s park) is probably the most recommended choice for sake tasting. For 500 yen you get to try 6 different sakes along with a souvenir glass.
- Opening Hours: Daily from 9am to 5pm
- Address: 24−1 Fukuchiincho, Nara, Nara Prefecture 630-8381, Japan
- Tel: +81 (0)74 223 2255
Directly operated by a local sake producer, Nara Toyosawa Sake Brewery, Kuramoto Hoshuku is a standing bar that's also popular for sake tasting. Visitors will notice regular customers dropping by after work for some light snacks, sake or beer before heading home, especially those using Kintetsu Nara Station. It's a relaxed place to try some premium sake at good prices.
- Opening Hours: Daily from 2pm to 10pm
- Address: 8 Higashimuki, Nara Kintetsu Building B1F, Nara, Japan
- Tel: +81 (0) 74 226 2625