Osaka Nōgaku Hall
Classical Japanese dance drama is performed at the Osaka Nōgaku Hall twice a month. Although there is not a regular schedule of events it might pay to check in with the nearby tourist information centre to find out what’s showing.
- Subway: Osaka Station, JR Kanjo line
- Address: 2-3-17 Nakasakinishi, Kita-ku
- Tel: +81 (0)6 6373 1726
National Bunraku Theater
Don’t miss seeing master puppeteers handling puppets that are two-thirds the size of a human at this national institution. Operating for 7 months throughout the year puppet shows generally run for three-week periods, check program times at the theatre. The theatre itself is an interesting blend of modern features with traditional Japanese architecture.
- Subway: Nippombashi Station, Sennichimae and Sakaisuji Lines
- Address: 1-12-10 Nippon-bashi,Chuo-ku
- Tel: +81 (0)6 6212 2531
A great place to start or end a night out, enjoy a relaxing martini at this elegant martini bar. Rustic décor presents a contrast to the classy atmosphere inside the bar. The affordable prices are another nice surprise. Try a classic Manhattan or a cool chocolate martini before a night of fun clubbing.
- Subway: Nagahoribashi Station, Sakaisuji and Nagahori Tsurumi-ryokuchi Lines
- Address: 1F 10-1-2 Higashi-Shinsaibashi, Chuo-ku
- Tel: +81 (0)6 6213 6788
Expect more than just smooth jazz by leading domestic and international artists at the Billboard Live for everything here is aimed at a clientele who seeks the best of the best. Exceptionally mixed drinks and food complement the excellent music which ranges from jazz and blues to Latin and even contemporary folk music. Filling to capacity almost every night reservations are recommended to avoid disappointment.
- Opening Hours: Weekdays 17:30-late, Saturday 17:00-late, closes Sunday
- Subway: Umeda station, JR Hanshin Line
- Address: 2-3-21 Sonezaki Shinchi, Kita-ku
- Tel: +81 (0)6 6342 7722
Fridays and Saturdays are the best nights to experience this popular sophisticated nightspot and the high energy house music played here. Hosting some of the best national and local DJs, Freeza gets very crowded and is known for its snug atmosphere.
- Subway: Namba Station, Midosuji, Yotsubashi or Sennichimae Lines
- Address: 2F Ameson Square Building, 2-8-33 Nishi-Shinsaibashi
- Tel: +81 (0)6 6213 1090
Club Karma is the place to go for a great night out dancing to powerful techno and cool drum and bass beats. The club holds new wave techno events on weekends which draw top name DJs from across the country. During the week enjoy the foreigner friendly bar for trendy music, good food and great drinks.
- Subway: Kitashinchi Station, JR Hanshin Line
- Address: 1-5-18 Sonezaki-shinchi, Kita-ku
- Tel: +81 (0)6 6344 6181
Sam and Dave Umeda
Join a festive young crowd at Sam and Dave, a modern nightclub that buzzes with hot lasers, fluorescent lights and a huge dance floor. Proud bartenders put Tom Cruise to shame with their flamboyant cocktail mixing skills adding to the spectacle of this club. Regular music events range from the hottest hip hop groups to sublime trance parties.
- Subway: Nishi-Umeda Station, Yotsubashi Line
- Address: 1F, 4-15-19 Nishi-tenma, Kita-ku
- Tel: +81 (0)6 6365 1688
Distinguished only by a small blue sign at street level Grand Café is an underground club that hosts a variety of events ranging from electronica to house DJs. The underground location adds to the allure of Grand Café as does the comfortable seating on plush couches and the several large dance floors.
- Subway: Yotsubashi Station, Yotsubashi line
- Address: 2-10-21 Nishishinsaibashi, Chūō-ku
- Tel: 06-6213-8637
If you are looking to enjoy some different music including heavy metal, indie and even punk acts head to Fandango, one of the best live houses in the city. Hosting acts from around the country indeed around the world, the club attracts a young and dedicated crowd who rock to the music in a feverish manner. A full drinks list is available with a good range of local and imported beers, a selection of whiskeys and many varieties of cocktails.
- Subway: Umeda Station, Midosuji Line
- Address: 1-17-27 Juso-Honmachi
- Tel: +81 (0)6 6308 1621
A gritty live house, Bahama is popular with Osaka’s Gen X and where many famous Japanese bands got their start. The all-standing room only house is a great place to discover the next big thing as amateur bands take the stage every night and occasionally some big names return for nostalgia.
- Subway: Yotsubashi Station, Yotsubashi line
- Address: 2-1-13 Nishi-Shinsaibashi
- Tel: +81 (0)6 6211 3504